Sunday, May 17, 2009

Power cuts halt ticket booking

Frequent power failures are playing havoc with the computerised reservation system at the Kacheguda Railway Station. This is not only delaying booking of reservations but also compounding the suffering of people.

Mr Binoy Jacob, an employee with a multi-national company said, “I came to the station at 7 am for tatkal reservation of a ticket to Kerala. It is more than two hours and still did not get the reservation as the system broke down due to power failure. It is annoying and I have no idea how much more time it will take. It seems the systems here have no back-up power facility.”Adding to the woes only four counters are working at any given point of time of the seven existing ones.

“Whenever I come here for reservation, I find myself stuck in the queue for not less than two hours. Last week, I had to wait in the queue for more than 90 minutes to book a ticket to Delhi. I need to take time off from my office everytime I have to book tickets,” said Mr Ravi Kumar, a marketing executive in a pharmaceutical company.

The chief station inspector, Mr K. Srinivas Rao, said, “There is rush at the counters because of summer season. Normally, it does not take more than 20 minutes for one to get ticket. When there is power cut, the systems go out of order. We have brought the problem of frequent power tripping faced by the station to our headquarters.”

“There is need for opening more counters, keeping in view the rush. There is also need for regulating the queues at the station,” said Mr Tarun Rao, an employee with GMR.

No comments: