Friday, March 27, 2009

Beware of con SMSes


Next time you get an SMS on your mobile, be on your guard lest your account balance becomes zero in a jiffy. Con SMSes are doing rounds in the name of Chiranjeevi Foundation and YSR Foundation and taking gullible cellphone users for a ride.

These SMSes claim to be promoting websites like http://www.chiranjeevifoundation.com/ and http://www.ysrfoundation.com/. The SMS claims that if the recipient forwards it to 16 friends, he or she will be rewarded with a free recharge worth Rs 42.55 and Rs 221.55 respectively. At the end of the message, there is an affirmation that says “It’s for real, I got the balance...”

The sms also claims that this is an offer from Y.S. Jagan and t. Devender Goud. But those who got lured by the message and forwarded it to 16 friends have been taken for one big ride.
Sougat Roy, an MNC employee, says, “There was no re-charge in my account balance as was promised. I got this message from a lot of friends so I thought it must be true. Later I found out that were were all fooled and no one knows the origin of these messages,” he said.

Some also tried to log in to the sites mentioned in the SMS but in vain. Vikky Dalmia, a student says, “I got the message and I forwarded it to 20 people. I was just testing my luck. When I realised I was fooled, I logged in to register a complaint on the site mentioned, but to no avail. Even the customer care executives said they have nothing to do with it.” When contacted, Praja Rajyam party leader, E. Peddi Reddy said, “We are not aware of these SMSes. people should not to waste money and get fooled by scamsters.”

No comments: